Subject: bug#76261: [PATCH] Add a mentions buffer feature to rcirc

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2025 15:17:11 +0100

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Philip,

I've addressed all of your comments and updated the branch now.

Well, except the question about display-buffer-same-window where I think
it would do the wrong thing.

>> Most of the code looks just fine, my main question is if we really
>> want to add this directly to rcirc or if it would be better to have
>> it as a extension on ELPA?
>
> My personal preference would be to have it in core, just because it's
> simpler to implement, maintain, and document.  And it doesn't feel
> like a big burden for the rest of rcirc.  I'd need one or two
> additional hooks for implementing it as a package, I think.
>
> While looking at it, I'm not sure it's right that currently the
> feature obeys rcirc-ignore-buffer-activity-flag and rcirc-dim-nicks.
> I mean, a mention is a mention and given that the mentions buffer is
> "for later reference" and doesn't disturb you in any way, it's
> probably better to log those, too, in contrast to the activity
> mode-line indicator.

Yeah, that wasn't right.  It also was dependent on the default value of
rcirc-markup-text-functions.  It's no user option but it could still
happen that someone removes, e.g., rcirc-markup-keywords.

So now I test directly in rcirc-print if some kind(s) of mention was
done which makes it even simpler (just one instead of three entry
points).

Bye,
Tassilo