Subject: Re: bug#7626: mm-charset-override-alist

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:40:08 -0500

> From: Reiner Steib <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Reply-To: Reiner Steib <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:23:55 +0100
> 
> I found around 40 articles declared as iso-8859-* which
> contain #x80 (the position of the EUR sign € in windows-1252) in my
> local leafnode news spool which contains mostly technical usenet
> groups (comp.*, de.comp.*, de.comm.*, ...) and mailing list from
> gmane.org.

40 out of how many?

Anyway, Rmail is about reading mail, not about reading news groups.
rmail-reply uses the encoding of the message replied to for setting
the encoding of the reply.  This "feature" makes me reply with a
windows-12xx encoding to someone whose sole "fault" is that she has
Latin-X characters in her name, which is RFC-2047 encoded in the From:
header.  This is ugly and unnecessary.  Emacs should not do this
unless the problematic characters are really present in the message.

I guess I will simply customize away mm-charset-override-alist, if no
one shares these concerns.