Subject: 23.2.91; Rmail shows incorrect message encoding in the mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:21:12 +0200

The new rmail-mime feature causes Rmail to set
buffer-file-coding-system to an incorrect value.  Expected result:
buffer-file-coding-system is according to the charset= header, but in
fact buffer-file-coding-system is almost always set to undecided.

This is a regression from Emacs 23.2.90.

Also, once the headers were decoded by rfc2047-decode-region, it would
be good to set buffer-file-coding-system to last-coding-system-used,
if the buffer's encoding is still undecided.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-11 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b I N B <tab> <return> <C-next> <C-next> <C-next> 
<C-next> <C-next> <C-next> <C-next> <C-next> <C-next> 
<M-end> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Setting up indent for shell type sh
setting up indent stuff
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Note: file is write protected [3 times]
Wrote d:/usr/eli/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 234 buffers restored.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow mailalias sendmail emacsbug ld-script sh-script executable
dired-x dired-aux dired tcl comint ring make-mode nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode
arc-mode archive-mode parse-time conf-mode newcomment jka-compr
tar-mode add-log diff-mode texinfo generic vc-cvs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
regexp-opt flyspell ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload org-footnote
org-src org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs noutline outline
easy-mmode vc-bzr info rmailsum rmailmm message ecomplete rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums time-date qp mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop
server filecache saveplace generic-x paren battery time tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)