Subject: bug#7626: 23.2.91; Rmail shows incorrect message encoding in the mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 13:20:38 +0200

The new Rmail/Rmail-MIME code (revision 100323 on the emacs-23 branch)
solved most of the problems originally reported here, but it still has
some issues.  Here are the problems I see with the new code, based on
less than an hour of testing:

 . If the message has an explicit specification of its charset, the
   EOL type of the RMAIL buffer is left unspecified (displayed as `:'
   in the mode line).  By contrast, when there's no charset= spec, the
   EOL type is correctly set to -unix.

 . Sometimes, the RMAIL buffer's encoding is set to windows-1252,
   which is not present anywhere in the message headers.  The only
   source of non-ASCII characters in the 2 messages where I saw this
   problem was in the RFC 2047 encoded addresses, but those used
   8859-1, as in "Jan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dj=E4rv?=", not windows-1252.
   `describe-text-properties' indeed shows the charset of the decoded
   address as windows-1252, so the reason is probably somewhere in
   `rfc2047-decode-region'.

Thanks.