Subject: bug#76246: closed (Re: [bug#76246] [PATCH v5 6/6] gnu: g-golf: Redefine as a non-deprecated alias.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 23:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76246: [PATCH 0/2] Add G-Golf's GTK-4 examples.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76246: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76246
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [bug#76246] [PATCH v5 6/6] gnu: g-golf: Redefine as a non-deprecated alias.
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 00:51:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed as db172d1f64a514babc9a2e4fd11fe8fe248e306e.

* Added Tobias’ comment on the alias g-golf compromise.
  I was at first inclined to drop the whole alias patch,
  since David Pirotte did not respond on it, but the alias
  is in Guix now.

* Changed synopses and descriptions to be closer to what David Pirotte
  wrote.  This means the synopsis no longer says “in Guile”, but
  surprisingly, it does not negatively affect its search score with
  “guix search guile gtk”.  However, I wrote "G-Golf GTK 4 examples"
  instead of David’s "G-Golf Gtk-4 Examples".

* In g-golf-adw-1-examples, I wrapped GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE rather
  than GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES, so it builds on the master
  branch.  The main demo adwaita-1-demo does not work on master yet,
  libadwaita is too old.  I plan to rewrite the wrapping when
  GUIX_GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES is on master or rather 宋文武’s GCD [1]
  is accepted.

I would much welcome if G-Golf, AFAIK the only currently maintained
and comprehensive library to access GTK and perhaps better Libadwaita
in Guile, were put to use in Guix itself, as Maxim writes, but I will
not be of help.

Regards,
Florian

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-consensus-documents.git/plain/004-set-search-paths-without-program-wrappers.md?h=wip-set-search-paths-without-program-wrappers
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-02/msg00007.html

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Add G-Golf's GTK-4 examples.
From: Florian Pelz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "pelzflorian \(Florian Pelz\)" <[email-masked]>, David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 03:48:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>

This is in response to David Pirotte's request [1] to package in Guix
his G-Golf examples.  I would be happy to receive feedback on whether
this patch’s direction is okay.  Not all examples work fine yet.
hello-world does work, though, and strangely it is unaffected by the
grafts bug [2] that plagues me when I use G-Golf in my Guix Home
configuration...

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-02/msg00172.html
[2] https://bugs.gnu.org/75157

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) (2):
  gnu: Add guile-cairo-next.
  UNFINISHED gnu: Add G-Golf's GTK-4 examples.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |   1 +
 gnu/packages/gtk.scm                          |  23 ++
 gnu/packages/guile-xyz.scm                    |  73 ++++
 .../patches/guile-cairo-fix-make-check.patch  | 352 ++++++++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 449 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/guile-cairo-fix-make-check.patch

base-commit: d59a13b6401e7494d8d5c9c9f66df3318451be79
-- 
2.48.1