Subject: Re: [bug#76240] [PATCH] gnu: Add NumPy 2 related variants.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 13:59:47 +0100

Hi!

Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This to make Pandas, MatplotLib and SciPy compatible with NumPy 2.  They
> need to be build with newer version otherwise it raise the error.
>
> * gnu/packages/python-science.scm: (python-pandas-with-numpy-2,
> python-scipy-with-numpy-2): New variables.
>
> * gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm (python-matplotlib-with-numpy-2): New variable.
>
> Change-Id: I53878b643ea6f7b35e3d893a18da438c2c111c52

[...]

> +(define-public python-scipy-with-numpy-2
> +  (package
> +    (inherit python-scipy)
> +    (propagated-inputs

Comment for all of these: it should be ‘package/inherit’ (to potentially
inherit replacements) and also change the ‘name’ field to distinguish
it.

Actually, assuming we want to move to NumPy 2.x going forward, I would
suggest keeping the regular name for the -with-numpy-2 variants (like
“python-scipy”) and choose a different name for the NumPy 1.x variants
(like “python-scipy-with-numpy-1”).

That way, somebody running:

  guix shell python python-numpy python-scipy

will still get a consistent package set.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.