Subject: bug#76239: crash with "gdk_device_get_name: assertion 'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed" error on kde 6.3, fedora 41

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 20:22:52 +0000

Arsen Arsenović <[email-masked]> writes:
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/7337 appears to have been
>> opened by Arsen Arsenovic a while ago.  No response so far, but it
>> describes the problem accurately.
>
> It's been just about a day, not too long, and it's weekend ;P
>
>> Thanks, Arsen!
>
> No problem!
>
>> (I would have linked the issue but gitlab.gnome.org is not letting me
>> create an account, so I won't).
>
> Try https://register.gitlab.gnome.org/ - it worked for me.

Not for me.  Various CloudFlare/"security" errors always culminating in
a "your account request has been rejected" message.

> I've a workaround locally.  I didn't want to post it because it's an
> ugly hack and I expected to submit a fix upstream at some point soon

Oh. No such qualms here, I posted what I hope is the same workaround a
while back, but then I saw Po Lu's announcement that he's going to
install one, so I think I'll just wait for that.

> (plus, KDE 6.3 just came out so I figured few people would hit this):

I thought it might have been the recent conversion of
make_formatted_string to doprnt.c, which crashes on NULL strings.  Good
to know it's something else :-)

Thanks again
Pip