Subject: Re: bug#76234: [PATCH] Prefix argument implies recursive for project-remember/forget-under

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 09:28:01 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 02:17:16 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 12/02/2025 22:48, Ship Mints wrote:
> >  From 97c6473833215f882c8ffed0814e4b2263503085 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001 
> > From: shipmints <[email-masked]> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 12:34:13 
> > -0500 Subject: [PATCH] Prefix argument implies recursive for project- 
> > remember/forget-under
> 
> Thanks, I've taken most of the proposal but tried to keep the orginal 
> terms. Also avoided saying "index" because it can imply indexing the 
> contents of the project as well (such as the lists of files, which we 
> don't cache).
> 
> Check this out: 
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=6077bbfc3d4a4aa042b364d31dd681e9f7ab7f30

IMO, this:

  +Display a message at the end summarizing what was found.
  +Return the number of detected projects."

contrasts strangely with this:

  +Display a message at the end summarizing what was forgotten.
  +Return the number of forgotten projects."

If we say "forgotten" in the latter case, why do we say "found" (and
not, for example, "remembered" or "new" or "added") in the former?
Doesn't the latter case also "find" projects?

That's one reason why in my proposal I used "indexed".

Also, this:

  Remember projects below a directory DIR.

is in contrast with this:

  Forget all known projects below a directory DIR.

Why doesn't the former say "all the projects", but the latter does?

And a final nit: should we somehow explain in the doc string what it
means to "remember" and to "forget" in this context?