Subject: bug#76231: Jami 20240524.0 not working on Guix System but working on foreign distro

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 16:45:09 +0100

Hello Maxim,

thank you for your interest in this bug report.

First of all: please are you succesfully running Jami on a Guix System
and if yes what's its version?

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Divya Ranjan <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello again Giovanni,
>>
>> I’ll just go ahead and CC some old developers from Guix who were
>> initially part of bringing Jami to Guix. Found them by searching down
>> the mailing list[0].
>>
>> Hopefully y’all can guide us a bit with regards to where things are going wrong.
>
> I'm guessing it's simply getting a bit dated?

I guess you are guessing the Jami I'm running is a little bit dated: I'm
using the last available package in guix, please see the subject.

Or are you guessing that 20240524.0 packaged in Guix is a little bit
dated?

Anyway...

> In my experience, as soon as you fall one on a few stable releases
> behind, you start experimenting more problems.  I'm not sure if Jami
> is supposed to be backward compatible with previous versions, but even
> if it was, it's probably not super well tested.

As I reported in the first message of this bug report thread, the issue
I'm [1] experiencing it's _only_ when running Jami 20240524.0 on a Guix
System, the very same version - installed via guix as package manager -
is running (very) well on Debian.

Maybe it's just some missing dependency in the package definition that
luckily is installed in on my Debian sistems?

I'd like to help finding what is making running Jami problematic on a
Guix System but I don't know what to do except reporting the logs I
found (see my first message in the bug report)

> I'd suggest updating it (but as you noted, that's sadly often not
> trivial).  I could provide some assistance if you'd like to pick up its
> maintenance.

I agree that updating the Guix Jami package is useful but I'd like to
understand what is preventing 20240524.0 from running on a Guix System
but not on a foreign distro.

Thanks, Gio'

[1] and others, i.e. Luis Felipe as he confirmed

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures