Subject: Re: bug#7622: [PATCH] lib-src/emacsclient.c: Change -H to -h. Order options alphabetically

From: jaalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:21:52 +0300

On 2012-04-11 01:48, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
| Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:
| 
| > The patch changes help option to lowercase -h like found e.g. in GNU
| > cp(1). The option help is also presented alphabetically.
| 
| [larsi@stories ~/src/emacs/trunk]$ cp -h
| cp: invalid option -- 'h'
| 
| So I don't think this change would be correct.

I remembered wrong. GNU uses --long options for cp(1) and mv(1); I
assume because it wanted to reserve all short options.

But almot universally lowercase -h, is understood as a synonym for
--help. At least for emacsclient that would work well as there are no
conflicting options[*].

The patch would also make the listing a little easier; alphabetical as
in GNU programs in general.

Jari

[*] -H and -h could have been taken to mean something else for
historical reasons in other programs.