Subject: Re: bug#76211: Incomplete python-django-compressor package

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 03:06:17 +0100

Hi,

MANIFEST.in contains a list of files that are not temp files.
It's basically a poor-man's version control staging.  When you invoke
"python3 setup.py sdist" (which creates a *source* distribution),
that will include all the files specified in MANIFEST.in .

As for what happens on installation (which is a different thing),
whether something is in MANIFEST.in or not shouldn't really change
anything by default (except when you set include_package_data--and
even then only in some cases).
It's interesting that for pip install, that does install templates.
What setup.py command does that use?
Which directory exactly does it put the templates in?

Are the templates and other media required for using the package as part
of a program as an end user--or only if you want to *develop* a new
package that is using python-django-compressor?

Depending on the answer to that, setup.py's include_package_data=True
could be useful.  See also <https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/3732>.

Alternatively, setup.py's data_files could be set.  It would also be a
lot less opaque that way.

See <https://setuptools.pypa.io/en/latest/userguide/miscellaneous.html>,
especially footnote 2 there.