Subject: 31.0.50; menu-bar-mode unexpectedly shrinks frame substantially

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 20:48:41 +0100

To reproduce this issue, please invoke Emacs with:

    $ emacs -Q --eval "(while t (menu-bar-mode (if menu-bar-mode 0 1)) (redisplay))"

Within a few seconds of running this, I unexpectedly see the frame
getting smaller and smaller.

With earlier Emacs versions, the frame unexpectedly becomes
substantially larger within a few minutes of running it.

All the best,
Markus

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw
 scroll bars) of 2025-02-11 built on debian
Repository revision: 0e76716c5faa5e91ac3913b02ba4dc690cf5df83
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xpm=ifavailable
 --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
 --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GMP JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XFT XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB