Subject: [bug#76208] [PATCH 0/3] gnu: grub: build from git source.

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 18:05:17 +0100

Hi,

GRUB is currently built from tarballs. This is not great because:

* gnulib is bundled in the tarball, and Guix even has code to un-bundle
  Unicode from gnulib.

* it unlocks transformation options, to build GRUB from the latest commit for
  instance.

Since GRUB is stuck on an older gnulib version, we have to package that, along
with its ucd-14.0.0 dependency.

So far I only built that package from source and I'll do more in depth runtime
testing in the next days, though I already tested an older version of this
patch set on real hardware (a ThinkPad X200) by building a Coreboot payload
with the grub-coreboot package.

I can also share and/or adapt the package that builds the payload I used if
necessary but I didn't include it yet in this patch set because it is very
specific to a given use case, and while the grub-coreboot package is supposed
to be reproducible, I've no idea yet if using that to build a payload can
result in a reproducible payload as the grub bootloader code inside Guix works
around some unreproducibility when creating grub images.

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli (3):
  gnu: Add ucd-14.0.0.
  gnu: Add gnulib-2022-02-12.
  gnu: grub: build from git source.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |   1 +
 gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm                  |  59 +++++++---
 gnu/packages/build-tools.scm                  | 109 ++++++++++++++++++
 .../patches/gnulib-2022-02-12-bootstrap.patch |  78 +++++++++++++
 gnu/packages/unicode.scm                      |  13 +++
 5 files changed, 247 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/gnulib-2022-02-12-bootstrap.patch

base-commit: 555937448cc510517011035fbf39c3687336759d
-- 
2.46.0