Subject: Re: bug#76186: 31.0.50; (recenter 0) sometimes does not recenter as expected

From: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2025 09:47:56 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It is impossible for me to debug problems with GUI display remotely.
> And the problem is extremely unlikely to happen in a -nw session.  But
> if you can reproduce it in "emacs -Q -nw", with a recipe that doesn't
> require hundreds of iterations before it happens, do tell.

So far, I found no way to elicit the problem with "emacs -nw"! I did run
into a different issue with "emacs -nw", Emacs sometimes crashing with:

    ./emacs(+0x4abde)[0x5575ae316bde]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x28150)[0x74c813c28150]
    /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x89)[0x74c813c28209]
    ./emacs(+0x4b115)[0x5575ae317115]
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Like the original issue, the crash also occurs some of the time, but not
all of the time. Any test case I can produce for it is likely to also
involve many repeated invocations of the exact same calls. Seeing that
such test cases are not esteemed, I do not look further into the crash,
but I will try to find a way to better reproduce the original issue.

One additional offer I can make is to invite you to a video call or to
any place you would like to meet so that we can look at the issue on a
device, please let me know any time if you are interested in this.

Thank you and all the best,
Markus