Subject: Re: bug#7617: 24.0.50; `expand-file-name': removal of slashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:23:07 -0500

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "'Eli Zaretskii'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:32:12 -0800
> 
> Please read what I wrote.

I'm sure he did.  Stefan is telling you that perhaps you run the
string through expand-file-name too early, before massaging it in some
way that gives a valid file name.  Or maybe that you should run
expand-file-name only on parts of the file name, the parts that _are_
valid file names.

> I am looking for a function that gives the behavior that is
> documented for `expand-file-name'.

`concat' comes to mind.  And if that's not what you want, please
consider describing the problem you are trying to solve.

> Do you know a good way to get that behavior in Lisp?

Call expand-file-name on parts of a file name, then `concat' them
together (with any number of slashes that you want)?