Subject: Re: bug#76159: [PATCH] Precision on Ange FTP parsing of .authinfo file

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2025 17:59:47 +0100

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Manuel,

> I end up having to read the ange-ftp source code to understand this
> issue.  So maybe it needs to be documented.  WDYT?

Thanks for pointing to this problem. However, I believe it is a little
bit more complex.

1. Ftp is still ftp. I believe, if you have a ~/.netrc file containing

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   machine HOST login USER port PORT password SECRET
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

   it will still work, independent of auth-sources.

2. Your proposed entry

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   machine HOST#PORT login USER password SECRET
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

   is good for every Tramp method, not only for method 'ftp'. Dow we
   want to have such a wildcard entry?

3. The Tramp manual explains already the port problem with the example

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   machine melancholia#4711 port davs login daniel%BIZARRE password geheim
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Shouldn't we simply say that this is also applicable for the 'ftp' method?

Best regards, Michael.