Subject: bug#76159: [PATCH] Precision on Ange FTP parsing of .authinfo file

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2025 16:31:47 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
>>> 3. The Tramp manual explains already the port problem with the example
>>>
>>>    machine melancholia#4711 port davs login daniel%BIZARRE password geheim
>>>
>>> Shouldn't we simply say that this is also applicable for the 'ftp'
>>> method?
>>
>> Yes, maybe that could be enough.  I don't really know how to phrase it
>> though.
>
> How about this:

Well sorry but I think there was some misunderstanding on my part.  The
manual says:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   The port can take any TRAMP method (*note Inline methods::, *note
External methods::).  Omitting port values matches all TRAMP methods.
Domain and ports, as used in TRAMP file name syntax, must be appended to
the machine and login items:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I thought that the 'port' option was used to declare a non standard port
for a given server but it seems that this option is used to match
against TRAMP *method*.

This misunderstanding leads me to read how Ange FTP parses netrc (or
authinfo) entries.  But I'm not sure there is a need for a documentation
fix then.
-- 
Manuel Giraud