Subject: bug#76158: 31.0.50; eldoc-mode

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2025 13:28:28 +0100

It seems like eldoc-mode has some problems (or maybe I'm missing something).

I've just been testing it with an "emacs -Q" session.

For example, write this in the *scratch* buffer:
  (dolist (a b c) d e)
and then move point just before the "a".

The echo area becomes empty. Unless I'm missing something, it should
show the syntax of "dolist":
  (dolist (VAR LIST [RESULT]) BODY...)
with "VAR" highlighted.

The echo area is also empty with point just before "b" and "c".
Similarly, it should show the syntax with "LIST" and "[RESULT]"
highlighted, respectively.

With point just before "d", the echo area shows the syntax but with
"LIST" highlighted, when it should highlight "BODY".
And with point just before "e", the highlighted part is "[RESULT]",
when it should be "BODY" too.

You could do a similar experiment with the expression
  (while a b c)
and move point just before "c".  => the "TEST" part highlighted, when
it should be "BODY".

-- 
Dani Moncayo

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 51, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-02-09 built on C11-Q8YAKWONJX0
Repository revision: 35fa7126903a0ac6a28901d194f0753acf60928d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corporation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA
XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix