Subject: bug#76156: 31.0.50; Wrong STATE when customizing allout-command-prefix

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2025 08:57:15 -0300

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

 > After emacs -Q:
 > (require 'allout)
 > M-x customize-option RET allout-command-prefix
 >
 > The Customize buffer shows up, with STATE being:
 > EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or save it.
 >
 > That's wrong, it should say STANDARD.
 >

The commit that introduced this is:

commit f7c2fe3337bb5e5721d17f40f79dbc1275e17b0d
Author: Basil L. Contovounesios <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Feb 28 16:38:21 2024 +0100

     Pacify some docstring control char warnings

     Other instances are discussed in the following thread:
     https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2024-02/msg00797.html

     * lisp/allout.el (allout-command-prefix): Declare :type as
     key-sequence.  Mark up key sequences in docstring.

The :type was changed from string to key-sequence, but not the value,
and the key-sequence widget requires another format for its value.
Furthermore, the key-sequence widget has been marked as obsolete since
2022.

Because of compatibility, I recommend keeping the :type as string,
since other widgets are more restrictive.