Subject: bug#76155: MuseScore: missing lots of glyphs

From: gfp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2025 11:37:10 +0000

Hi,
thanks for looking into this matter.

> The glyphs are indeed not showing if the selected font is Edwin (the
>>> default), but if you select a font like Noto Sans, or DejaVu Sans for
>>> your text the characters will appear fine. It seems the “special
>>> characters” window uses the selected font for previews.

In my MuseScore 3.6.2 und MuseScore 4.3.2
the font "Noto Sans" is connected with Hebrew only, so it doesn´t show 
any greek letter.

I checked "DejaVu Sans", and every Greek letter is shown up as You said.
But "FreeSerif" shows most of them, as you said.

thanks

Gottfried

Am 21.02.25 um 23:41 schrieb Roman Riabenko:
> Hello, Noé.
> 
> Thank you for looking into it! So, it is not a bug. I copy another user
> who reported having the same difficulty in guix-help mailing list.
> 
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2025 00:26:39 +0100
> Noé Lopez <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> The glyphs are indeed not showing if the selected font is Edwin (the
>> default), but if you select a font like Noto Sans, or DejaVu Sans for
>> your text the characters will appear fine. It seems the “special
>> characters” window uses the selected font for previews.
> 
> If I select FreeSerif instead of Edwin in the side panel before clicking
> the "Insert special characters" button, I achive the expected result later
> in the "Greek Extended" tab. With FreeSerif, most of the characters are
> displayed with only a handful of glyphs missing. FreeSerif is budled in
> the musescore package, so it is readily available.
> 
> If I install the font-google-noto package and restart MuseScore, I can
> also select Noto fonts. I tried Noto Sans and Noto Serif. They appear to
> be missing the same glyphs as FreeSerif. So, it is not necessary to
> install Noto fonts.
> 
> In Trisquel, the pre-selected font is FreeSerif instead of Edwin. There
> is no package for Edwin font in Trisquel. However, I downloaded the font
> from its git repository, installed it in Trisquel, and observed exactly
> the same result as in Guix, which is most of the glyphs missing in the
> "Greek Extended" tab.
> 
> Somehow, it did not occur to me that I need to select a different font.
> Maybe, MuseScore could fall back to a different font when glyphs are
> missing. But it is not a bug with the MuseScore packaging in Guix.
> 
> Roman