Subject: [bug#76139] [PATCH] gnu: guile-g-golf: Update to 0.8.0.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2025 01:08:54 +0100

Andy Tai <[email-masked]> writes:
> * gnu/packages/guile-xyz.scm (guile-g-golf): Update to 0.8.0.

Thank you for the patch!

LGTM, except the clutter input is no longer required for tests.  Could
you remove it?

I currently do not have a trusted machine at hand and cannot push your
patch for a few days.  Could someone else push Andy’s patch when the
clutter input is removed?

This is the only relevant difference to the previous version 0.8.0-rc9
that I found from looking at the diff.

Most G-Golf examples shipped with $(guix build --source guile-g-golf)
work fine with your patch, except layout-manager-2 (which also did not
work before at 0.8.0-rc9), and the Adwaita demo example needs some
modifications to paths, but since you do not package the examples, I
don’t think there is a fault at your package.  If someone wants to run
G-Golf’s examples:

Running the GTK examples is hindered by bug
<https://bugs.gnu.org/75157> since December 2024.

To work around it in development environments, use
`guix shell --no-grafts`.

E.g. to run the examples,

guix shell --no-grafts guile-g-golf gtk graphene libadwaita guile-cairo --development guile-g-golf

The animated-paintable, simple-paintable examples cannot be run, because
as described in the example source code, they need instead a guile-cairo
that is newer than the latest release.

(define-public guile-cairo-next
  (package
    (inherit guile-cairo)
    (source (origin
             (method git-fetch)
             (uri (git-reference
                   (url "git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/guile-cairo.git")
                   (commit "30da459d7a4380174ff243b1560d5512a4bca86e")))
             (sha256
              (base32
               "0dslfldzgxis8g0g3xaffcqnd1njzz23fjy0v3lc0r2694ra4ny4"))
             (file-name (string-append "guile-cairo-next"))))
    (inputs
     (list guile-lib expat guile-3.0 gettext-minimal))
    (native-inputs
     (list autoconf-2.71 automake libtool pkg-config texinfo))))

(When security updates are desired for use in production environments,
instead of --no-grafts, set GI_TYPELIB_PATH to ungraft like guix.git’s
etc/manifests/ungraft.scm as described at bug#75157 above, but that
takes days to build.)

Regards,
Florian