Subject: 30.0.93; vlf: advice for abort-if-file-too-large seems broken in Emacs 30

From: fap <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 21:39:45 +0100

After upgrading to Emacs 30 I couldn't open files anymore
with (vlf-setup) applied / required.

The backtrace is as follows:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable always)
   ad-Advice-abort-if-file-too-large(#f(compiled-function (size op-type 
filename &optional offer-raw) "If file SIZE larger than 
`large-file-warning-threshold', allow user to abort.\nOP-TYPE specifies 
the file operation being performed (for message\nto user).  If OFFER-RAW 
is true, give user the additional option\nto open the file literally. 
If the user chooses this option,\n`abort-if-file-too-large' returns the 
symbol `raw'.  Otherwise,\nit returns nil or exits non-locally." 
#<bytecode -0x118b121ca418257d>) 16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   apply(ad-Advice-abort-if-file-too-large #f(compiled-function (size 
op-type filename &optional offer-raw) "If file SIZE larger than 
`large-file-warning-threshold', allow user to abort.\nOP-TYPE specifies 
the file operation being performed (for message\nto user).  If OFFER-RAW 
is true, give user the additional option\nto open the file literally. 
If the user chooses this option,\n`abort-if-file-too-large' returns the 
symbol `raw'.  Otherwise,\nit returns nil or exits non-locally." 
#<bytecode -0x118b121ca418257d>) (16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t))
   abort-if-file-too-large(16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
  
find-file-noselect("/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" 
nil nil t)
   find-file("/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   funcall-interactively(find-file 
"/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   call-interactively(find-file nil nil)
   command-execute(find-file)

I looked at the code, but I don't really get how 'always could get
interpreted as a variable?

In GNU Emacs 30.0.93 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-02-07 built on T580
Repository revision: 6cfab9154ddec0adc5b8a6701019c9c066c3f9f9
Repository branch: pretest
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS