Subject: bug#76131: closed (Re: bug#76131: 30.0.93; vlf: advice for abort-if-file-too-large seems broken in Emacs 30)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2025 09:33:03 +0000

Your bug report

#76131: 30.0.93; vlf: advice for abort-if-file-too-large seems broken in Emacs 30

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76131: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76131
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76131: 30.0.93; vlf: advice for abort-if-file-too-large seems broken in Emacs 30
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2025 11:32:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2025 14:30:16 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2025 09:56:51 -0500
> > Cc: fap <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>, 
> > 	[email-masked]
> > 
> > I had the stale version installed from MELPA myself so I installed the ELPA version and it looks like package
> > reported the incorrect path name but under the covers did the right thing.
> > 
> > "Package vlf is installed.
> > 
> >      Status: Installed in 'vlf-20191126.2250/'. <<<---- incorrect path: it was put in vlf-1.7.2/
> >     Version: 20191126.2250
> >      Commit: cc02f2533782d6b9b628cec7e2dcf25b2d05a27c
> >     Summary: View Large Files.
> >     Website: https://github.com/m00natic/vlfi
> >    Keywords: large files utilities 
> > Other versions: 1.7.2 (installed), 20191126.2250 (melpa), 1.7.2 (gnu)."
> 
> So can we close this bug now, or is there anything left to do?

No further comments, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 30.0.93; vlf: advice for abort-if-file-too-large seems broken in Emacs 30
From: fap <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 21:39:45 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After upgrading to Emacs 30 I couldn't open files anymore
with (vlf-setup) applied / required.

The backtrace is as follows:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable always)
   ad-Advice-abort-if-file-too-large(#f(compiled-function (size op-type 
filename &optional offer-raw) "If file SIZE larger than 
`large-file-warning-threshold', allow user to abort.\nOP-TYPE specifies 
the file operation being performed (for message\nto user).  If OFFER-RAW 
is true, give user the additional option\nto open the file literally. 
If the user chooses this option,\n`abort-if-file-too-large' returns the 
symbol `raw'.  Otherwise,\nit returns nil or exits non-locally." 
#<bytecode -0x118b121ca418257d>) 16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   apply(ad-Advice-abort-if-file-too-large #f(compiled-function (size 
op-type filename &optional offer-raw) "If file SIZE larger than 
`large-file-warning-threshold', allow user to abort.\nOP-TYPE specifies 
the file operation being performed (for message\nto user).  If OFFER-RAW 
is true, give user the additional option\nto open the file literally. 
If the user chooses this option,\n`abort-if-file-too-large' returns the 
symbol `raw'.  Otherwise,\nit returns nil or exits non-locally." 
#<bytecode -0x118b121ca418257d>) (16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t))
   abort-if-file-too-large(16007 "open" 
"~/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
  
find-file-noselect("/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" 
nil nil t)
   find-file("/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   funcall-interactively(find-file 
"/home/fap/.local/share/chezmoi/emacs/github-pandoc.css" t)
   call-interactively(find-file nil nil)
   command-execute(find-file)

I looked at the code, but I don't really get how 'always could get
interpreted as a variable?

In GNU Emacs 30.0.93 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-02-07 built on T580
Repository revision: 6cfab9154ddec0adc5b8a6701019c9c066c3f9f9
Repository branch: pretest
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS