Subject: [bug#76125] [PATCH] gnu: Add python-nmap.

From: Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 20:19:31 +0000

Hi,

Thank you for the patch.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
+    (propagated-inputs (list python-simplejson nmap which))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
nmap and which need to be in inputs.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
+    (synopsis
+     "Python interface to the nmap utility for network discovery and security auditing")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
It may be shorten to: "Python wraper to Nmap"

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
+    (description
+     "This library helps use the nmap port scanner in Python, allowing
+automation of scanning tasks and reports.")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
Maybe describe why this package may be helpful. Skiming the README it's
hard to deduce ... 
e.g: "This package implements a functionality to wrap @code{nmap}
command into Python scripts,  where each command invocation is wrapped
into function providing JSON output."

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 (define-public python-clrprint
   (package
     (name "python-clrprint")
@@ -39237,7 +39259,7 @@ (define-public python-clrprint
                (base32
                 "0xfn8d1by2w7pjiji887qljk1avn4fylbnz1mj28gysm5g0zvy43"))))
     (build-system python-build-system)
-    (arguments '(#:tests? #f))                    ;there are no tests
+    (arguments '(#:tests? #f))          ;there are no tests
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
Please, apply to the right package ;-)

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
+  #:use-module (gnu packages admin)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
You may keep it there to reduce the number of cross references.

License looks correct as seen in LICENSE file:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                       Version 3, 29 June 2007
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

No related to the review comments, the value of the project is
questionable as Nmap provides a very powerful scripting in Lua
<https://nmap.org/book/nse-language.html>, why someone needs to reduce
tooling by wrapping it inside hacky Python script I'm doubt to say :-).

And the project admires that fact!
> Nmap is a complicated piece of software used for reconnaissance on
> target networks, over the years new features have been added making it
> more sophisticated.

Waiting for v2 to cover review points.

--
Oleg