Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2025 14:51:09 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2025 12:44:06 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2025 07:12:34 -0800
> >>
> >> According to our guidelines, we must have the same functionality on
> >> GNU/Linux before we can install it for a non-free system.[1]  This is
> >> also documented in nextstep/README.
> >
> > What is the functionality in question?  Toolkit dialogs are available
> > on all platforms, including GNU/Linux.  Are you talking about special
> > features of those dialogs, or something else?
> 
> I'm talking about the feature of "sharing" a file using such dialogs, as
> seen in the screenshots attached here:
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76120#5

Isn't this what shell-command-do-open ("Open" in a context menu) does,
in conjunction with shell-command-guess-open?  We also have
dired-context-menu, with similar functionality.  E.g., the w32
implementation calls w32-shell-execute, which AFAIU is the equivalent
of the proposed functionality, but just for a single action "share".
All we need is to have this as part of the above functionalities, not
as a separate NS-specific idiosyncratic feature.

IOW, the way to implement this is to add the "share" (or maybe we
should call it "send to" or something similar) action to the context
menus we already have, and then each platform can implement that as it
sees fit.  For example, on GNU/Linux desktops I'd expect xdg-open to
have that capability.

If the above doesn't make sense, then let me turn the table and ask:
how is this proposed functionality different from what the above
infrastructure already provides?