Subject: bug#76120: This feature is not about "sharing", or a "native" anything.

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2025 04:43:03 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > +(defgroup context-share nil
  > +  "Share files and text with external applications."

Please do not use the wrd "share" in this file.
This feature is not about sharing, not at all.
It invokes an external command on some text or file.

Whatever term we choose will probably remain in place for decades.  We
should choose it with careful thought, not rush.
We should not use a term that does not fit the actions
and we should not get our terminology from a company that
makes nonfree operating systems.

Let's replace "share" with "manipulate" now, with the idea that we can
change the word a few weeks from now -- after discussing about the
best word to use.

"Manipulate" fits what the feature does, and it is clearly better than
"share".  If we find a better word, we can change to that.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)