Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 19:59:07 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Thanks for the concrete explanation.  I think I basically understand
it now.  (Of course, I have never seen it in use.)

  > Examples:

  > 1. Files.  The file name and relevant metadata (such as type, size, and
  >    preview data) are sent to the chosen program or service, which
  >    handles it in context-specific ways....

  > 2. Text.  The selected text is handed off to the chosen program, where
  >    it is embedded accordingly....

  > 3. Links.  The context menu shows options like "Add to Reading List",
  >    which saves the link for offline reading, or "Add Bookmark", which
  >    adds it to some list of bookmarks...

Would it be useful to implement this feature in Emacs in a
system-independent way?  Or perhaps implement our own version for use
n GNU/Linux and similar systems, and use the SmacOS version when on
SmacOS?

Another alternative would be to implement this as a separate program
that Emacs could invoke, and other GUI programs could also invoke.

Because a useful feature should not be supported solely on a nonfree system!

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)