Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 19:58:00 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > It allows to send a file or a region of text to another application or
  > a service.

The term "sharing" is very misleading for this; we use the word
"share" for comething that people do with other people.  So we should
not adopt Apple's terminology.

I think "system invocation dialog" is a better name for us to use.
Is there any reason that would be misleading?

                It's an addition to a feature we already have in Dired and
  > other places whereby a file can be "opened" by some external means,
  > like a program (e.g., to show it or do other actions with it) or a
  > printing service (e.g., to print the text).

Does that mean it is comparable to the ! command in Dired?

Do shell commands exist on MacOS?  Can users do with ! on MacOS the
same things they can do with the system invocation dialog?

Perhaps the system invocation dialog has some conveniences -- for
instance, not needing to remember shell commands or their syntax.
Is that the case?

If so, would those conveniences be convenient on GNU/Linux if they
existed?

Should we aim to implement that system invocation dialog on GNU/Linux?
Then it would be a feature that isn't MacOS-specific.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)