Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2025 07:31:26 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2025 17:06:09 -0500
> 
> Could someone please explain briefly what the "native sharing dialog"
> of MacOS does?  What does it try to share, and when?

It allows to send a file or a region of text to another application or
a service.  It's an addition to a feature we already have in Dired and
other places whereby a file can be "opened" by some external means,
like a program (e.g., to show it or do other actions with it) or a
printing service (e.g., to print the text).

> Is it a facility to copy files between one MacOS machine and another,
> that does not communicate with any other system?  I am starting to
> guess so, because a facility that is "native" to MacOS would work only
> on MacOS.
> 
> Or is it a facility to invoke "the right applcation" to oerate
> on a file?

It allows to do both.