Subject: Re: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 19:39:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 08:30:45 +0200
>> 
>> Would it possible to disable AirDrop in this dialog? 
>
> It's possible, but I see no need to do it.

The reasons that Po Lo (sorry please correct me on using your name
without last name) are not enough?

AirDrop is an entirely non-free protocol made by a computer which
produces their devices in a state sponsored labor camps.

There is no way to use this protocol without Apple's control without
going into, at least outside of Europe, legally gray areas.

This isn't just something like SMB/CIFS which can be used without any
non-free platforms involved.

Even if this could be enabled in theory it shouldn't be enabled by
default IMHO. From my point of view implementing such a modern feature
for macOS first and not even disabling these proprietary to one platform
tied protocols looks bad at best.