Subject: Re: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Alvaro Ramirez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 07:59:05 +0000

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Contrasting the facilities exposed by this
> dialog with their GNU/Linux equivalents is beside the point of 
> our
> policy against features which place proprietary systems at an 
> advantage,
> because our object in doing so is to prevent the creation of any
> material incentive in Emacs that might motivate users to install 
> Mac OS,
> not simply to guarantee that Emacs on Mac OS holds no advantage 
> in raw
> capabilities over Emacs on free systems.

While I haven't tried it myself, there's OpenDrop 
(https://github.com/seemoo-lab/opendrop) for anyone who may be 
keen to use on GNU/Linux.

> And it breaks the GNUstep build, though that is the least of
> our concerns.

Ah, sorry. Fairly new to upstream contributions. I hadn't 
considered GNUstep. Taking a closer look, it seems this can be 
addressed by guarding under NS_IMPL_COCOA. Please correct me if 
otherwise.