Subject: Re: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 11:30:39 +0800

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> I won't object to implementing Bluetooth "sharing", since a file can
> easily be sent through e.g. blueman-sendto, but I will object to the
> dialog proposed by the OP.  Contrasting the facilities exposed by this
> dialog with their GNU/Linux equivalents is beside the point of our
> policy against features which place proprietary systems at an advantage,
> because our object in doing so is to prevent the creation of any
> material incentive in Emacs that might motivate users to install Mac OS,
> not simply to guarantee that Emacs on Mac OS holds no advantage in raw
> capabilities over Emacs on free systems.  I say this dialog is certainly
> such an incentive, as attested by the existence of this patch rather
> than a patch adding aliases from xdg-open and blueman to AppleScript
> workalikes.  You and I may not be vain enough for such features to
> influence our preferences as regards operating systems, but you cannot
> deny that people exist whom they do influence.
>
> What is more, half of the dialog is devoted to Apple's proprietary file
> sharing protocol, AirDrop.  Any person can see the folly in providing a
> direct interface to a proprietary file sharing system in Emacs, never
> mind such a file sharing system as is only available on one brand of
> computer.  And it breaks the GNUstep build, though that is the least of
> our concerns.
>
> Just my two cents.

It also requires compiler extensions (lambdas) only implemented by
Clang.