Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 20:25:35 +0530

[செவ்வாய் பிப்ரவரி 11, 2025] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  Eli
>>  Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 00:14:22 +0200
>> 
>> Since xdg-open isn't the same as "sharing" doesn't that only circumvent
>> the policy to not add functionality that is only supported on non-free
>> platforms?
>
> After all the discussions we had about the meaning of "sharing" in
> this case, what exactly makes you say xdg-open etc. are not equivalent
> to this "sharing"? just the fact that xdg-open doesn't have an option
> called literally "share", or something else?
>
> IOW, would you please describe the general functionality that the
> proposed "sharing" offers and xdg-open doesn't?

xdg-open simply opens the given file in the most suitable application
(if you ask me how it is determined, I can only tell it is dark arts).
So, `xdg-open ~/somepdf.pdf' will open the file in a PDF reader,
`xdg-open ~/img.png' will open it in an image viewer, etc.  However, I
see an "Airdrop" option in the MacOS's share menu which AFAIK/U is akin
to "Share to device" which xdg-open cannot do.  For this, we need to
rely on KDE Connect or something similar for which Emacs does not have
support for OOTB.