Subject: bug#76120: [PATCH] Expose the native sharing dialog (macOS)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 14:18:05 +0200

> From: Björn Bidar <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2025 22:23:51 +0200
> 
> >   . "sharing" with a printer means printing, which is the same as
> >     "opening" by a printer
> >   . "sharing" with an email program means sending as an email message,
> >     which is the same as "opening" by a MUA
> 
> In this context the MUA would be opened with the to be shared file
> in a new message window, removing the step in between opening and
> attaching the file.
> More like a mailto: link rather than manually "opening".

I think you interpret "open" too literally.  In this case it is just a
verb; in particular, it does NOT mean just starting the program.  It
means telling the program to do its thing with the stuff that Emacs
submits to it.

> >   . "sharing" a selection of text is the same a drag-n-drop the text
> >     onto an application
> 
> It's the same but the program which is the direction would receive the
> input prepared by the sending program e.g. any kind of content not just
> text.

I was responding to the images posted, where the selection was plain
text.  I realize that it's an example, but so are my examples.

> > etc., etc.  So what exactly is the "sharing" we are talking about
> > here?  I very much hope that it doesn't just mean show a menu whose
> > caption says "Share with" (which would mean it's another hype)...
> 
> Well it's certainly not another hype since a feature like it or similar
> has been implemented across all major operating systems.

(We just saw that GNU/Linux doesn't really implement it yet...)

> The point is that there's a direct interaction from the user in the
> current program they use to programs offering methods of interaction so
> kinda like open with but with a specific action in mind.

That's the same idea that is behind shell-command-do-open.

> E.g. instead of print menu there's a menu to show various actions
> such as printing or forwarding the file. The purpose is that such action
> are in central location instead of a button for every specific action
> specific to each program.

I didn't say anything about separate buttons.  We also have this in a
central location: the context menu.

So I still don't see the difference, except in terminology.