Subject: [bug#76119] [PATCH] doc: contributing.texi: document yhetil.org web service.

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2025 10:43:00 +0000

Hi Cayetano,

Thanks for taking this up.

I just wanted to raise a question - what do we know about yhetil.org?
For example, do we know who maintains it? Are they committed to
maintaining it in the long term, or is this just a personal convenience
project that could disappear any moment?

I've used yhetil.org for a long time, but I still don't know these
things. I can't find any contact information on the home page, either.

Without that knowledge, it just feels a little odd for the Guix project
to officially trust and recommend the use of this particular online
service.

Like, imagine if the manual had a list of email providers that play nice
with GNU mailing lists. Sure, it would be useful information, but it
would also be seen as an endorsement of those providers; so we'd want to
look into their records on data privacy, etc first.

Obviously that level of concern is not warranted here since yhetil.org
is just a public-inbox archive; but I still think it would be good to
find out a bit more about that site.