Subject: [bug#76109] [PATCH] doc: Mention --check --no-grafts as a way to force-rebuild packages.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2025 15:14:15 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2025 at 08:33:47PM +0100, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:
> (For the record, until now, I have forced package rebuilds by putting
> a dummy (write "...") or (format #t "...") in one of the user-defined
> modify-phases.)

Right, we definitely needed to improve the documentation!

> BTW, I feel like the whole explanation of what grafts and grafting are
> could be made a bit clearer—with the help of a picture or something
> similar. But that's something for another pull request.

I just looked at the manual section Security Updates and, yes, I agree
we should have some illustrative / nicely-formatted-ASCII example of
grafting in the manual.

I seem to remember such a presentation on the subject some years ago,
probably soon after the current implementation of grafting was deployed.

Might be worth looking through the archives of Guix-related
presentations in our maintenance.git repository, or the FOSDEM
archives:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/talks

Ludovic, do you recall making a slideshow that illustrates grafting?