Subject: bug#76107: Consider image specs when scanning for a column

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 22:46:11 +0200

> From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 18:14:35 +0100
> 
> >> So far, I have only had two related issues: The width calculation is
> >> incorrect when dealing with characters which are not full-sized (they
> >> are being calculated as though they were full-sized)
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand: is this due to my patch?  My patch isn't
> > supposed to touch the case of characters, only that of inline images.
> > Was this problem present before my patch?  If not, can you show an
> > example of it?
> 
> No, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.  This was happening before as
> well, but it's similar enough, so I figured I would bring it up in case
> a small tweak is enough to fix it.

Ah, okay.  But in that case, this is the intended behavior:
current-column disregards the pixel size of the characters, and counts
each character as one column regardless of its size on display.

> > Hmm... you say "there is an image from line start to point", but in
> > the example you show the image is not at the beginning of a line.  Did
> > I misunderstand what you are describing?
> 
> I was referring to an image being present somewhere in the line before
> the point, but the patch seems to have fixed it, so that's fine.

OK, then the one-line addition to the patch that I sent should solve
this.