Subject: Re: bug#76107: Consider image specs when scanning for a column

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 18:37:00 +0100

> But everything is _not_ visible.  For example, if the image is at the
> left edge of the window and the window is hscrolled, part of the image
> will be invisible, and the columns of characters after it will be
> incorrect.

Maybe I have this all wrong, but shouldn't we be scanning from the very
beginning of the line, and not just the _visible_ beginning?

When we have a row with the contents

  "some long text with a lot of characters that we need to scroll to see properly"

and we have it hscrolled until the visible row starts at "characters",
current-column at the start of "characters" is still 29 and not 0.

Similarly, I would think that given

  "#<image :width 10em>foo bar"

with the buffer hscrolled until it only shows "foo bar", we would want
current-column at the start of "foo" to be 10 and not 0, even though the
display width of the image is 0 (since it's not visible), because the
"actual" width of the image (that is, what its width _would_ be if we
could see it all) is 10.