Subject: bug#76105: bash_completion.sh: line 10: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name

From: Dariqq <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2025 15:12:32 +0000

Hi Felix,

Felix Lechner <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On a system updated on or about February 1, I saw this message and could
> not log in:
>
>    /run/current-system/profiles/etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh: line
>      10: shopt: progcomp: invalid shell option name.
>
> Thanks for looking!
>
> Kind regards,
> Felix Lechner

I've seen this as well using greetd recently (which I think you use as 
well) but had no issues with logging in. I think I found the issue:

The error comes from the greeter user using bash-minimal, everything is 
fine when using the "normal" bash.

When greetd got updated in 55cead2c49e0740c1595fdc5ecce7d050c36e080 a 
phase got added to patch /bin/sh (pointing to the full bash) to 
bash-minimal.

I tested a variant of greetd that deletes this phase and replaced it in 
all my greetd-terminal-configuration and the warning went away.

(CCing Efraim as the commit author)

Hope this helps