Subject: bug#76103: [PATCH] New function 'process-output'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 09:10:57 +0200

> From: Álvaro Ramírez <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2025 19:06:25 +0000
> 
> I find process-lines super convenient for glueing command line 
> utilities.
> 
> Often wished I had a similar function that neither split into 
> lines (process-lines) nor relied on shell 
> (shell-command-to-string).
> 
> Proposing process-output as a close cousin to process-lines.

Thanks, but can you explain why shell-command-to-string is not what
you want?

And in any case, given that the implementation is basically 4 lines of
Lisp, why do we need this in Emacs, and in subr.el on top of that
(which means it will be preloaded)?  Sounds like not justified for
such a simple function.  If some package needs it, and cannot use
shell-command-to-string (for reasons I still don't understand), it can
easily implement it as a utility function, no?

Stefan and Andrea, WDYT?