Subject: [bug#76082] [PATCH 4/9] guix-install.sh: Remove system-level Guix Home initialization.

From: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2025 22:25:00 -0600

Guix Home handles its own profile initialization in ~/.profile and
documents shell setup accordingly.  It does more than what is done here,
including running an on-first-login script to start a user Shepherd
instance.  In general, changes and improvements to Guix Home
initialization are unlikely to propagate to the foreign distro install
script, since many Guix contributors only use Guix via Guix System and
Guix Home does not depend on system-level initialization anyway.

Avoid partially initializing Guix Home in /etc/profile.d to keep search
path variables free of redundant entries.  Instead, leave a comment
directing users to the relevant manual section.

* etc/guix-install.sh (sys_create_init_profile): Remove system-level
Guix Home initialization.

Change-Id: Ib78aa0382268a789298d4980ee394d99a602a5ca
---
 etc/guix-install.sh | 6 ++----
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/guix-install.sh b/etc/guix-install.sh
index 22d54c0c83..8dda149edf 100755
--- a/etc/guix-install.sh
+++ b/etc/guix-install.sh
@@ -665,10 +665,8 @@ GUIX_LOCPATH="$GUIX_PROFILE/lib/locale${GUIX_LOCPATH:+:}$GUIX_LOCPATH"
 # searches 'Info-default-directory-list'.
 export INFOPATH="$_GUIX_PROFILE/share/info:$GUIX_PROFILE/share/info:$INFOPATH"
 
-GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-home/profile"
-[ -f "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile" ] && . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
-[ -L "$GUIX_PROFILE" ] && \
-GUIX_LOCPATH="$GUIX_PROFILE/lib/locale${GUIX_LOCPATH:+:}$GUIX_LOCPATH"
+# NOTE: Guix Home handles its own profile initialization in ~/.profile. See
+# info '(guix) Configuring the Shell'.
 
 export GUIX_LOCPATH
 
-- 
2.47.1