Subject: Re: [bug#76081] [PATCH v10 3/7] tests: oci-container: Set explicit timeouts.

From: paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2025 17:26:11 +0200

Hi Maxim,

thank you for your feedback, I should have addressed all your comments.

On 5/15/25 09:21, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> +              (let loop ((attempts 0))
>> +                (if (= attempts 60)
>> +                    (error "Service didn't come up after more than 60 seconds")
> I'm curious as to why this is necessary, given in the previous test we
> wait for the docker-guile service to be ready?
>
I think it is because between once the docker run command is run and the 
container is actually started and available through docker ps, there 
seems to be a delay. If the system is not overloaded it is minimal, but 
it happened to me that similarly to what happened in issue 72740 
sometimes container are slow to start.

I think the core problem is that the Shepherd services goes to early in 
the running state, I should make it stay in starting state until the 
container is actually started but I don't know how. If you have any 
pointers on how to achieve this I would be very happy to learn more. I 
would address it in a separate issue if you agree.

It happened to me that running the test suite while compiling other guix 
packages could make the test fail, so I think if we keep this patch we 
could be safer against flaky tests. What do you think?

thank you,

cheers,

giacomo