Subject: bug#76055: 29.4; Doc of string-empty-p

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2025 16:41:47 -0500

Drew Adams via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The doc string should tell you that it treats a symbol for arg STRING,
> instead of a string, by checking its `symbol-name'.  E.g., like what is
> done for `string=':
>
>  Symbols are also allowed; their print names are used instead.

FWIW, I'm not suggesting any changes, but I admit that I never really
understood this design decision.

This is what I get in Guile:

    scheme@(guile-user)> (string=? "foo" 'foo)
    ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
    In procedure string=: Wrong type argument in position 2 (expecting
string): foo

And in SBCL:

    * (string= "foo" 'foo)
    NIL

    * (string= "foo" 123)

    debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-TYPE-ERROR in thread
    #<THREAD tid=259 "main thread" RUNNING {7004FF0003}>:
      123 is not a string designator.