Subject: bug#76035: Gnus: obsoleting picons support?

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 06:40:51 +0000

>>>>> Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> "SK" == Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
    SK> Severity: wishlist See the defcustom `gnus-picon-databases` and
    SK> related code.

    SK> This seems to owe to an early-web experiment from, by the looks
    SK> of things, 1997:

    SK> "picons" is short for "personal icons". They're small,
    SK> constrained images used to represent users and domains on the
    SK> net, organized into databases so that the appropriate image for
    SK> a given e-mail address can be found. Besides users and domains,
    SK> there are picons databases for Usenet newsgroups and weather
    SK> forecasts. The picons are in either or both monochrome XBM and
    SK> colour XPM formats, plus a GIF format.

    > I asked on emacs.gnus.general and found no one actively usings it
    > (although only a handful of responses).

    > I used to use it personally, but stopped a decade ago. I am in
    > favor of obsoleting it (although there might always be someone out
    > there who is using it).

Sorry to be dim, but what does making picons obsolete actually mean?
Will functions such as gnus-picons-installed-p, gnus-treat-from-picon,
gnus-treat-mail-picon, gnus-treat-newsgroups-picon, etc be removed?

Colin Baxter.