Subject: bug#76028: 31; completing-read-multiple: Add prompt indicator

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2025 20:16:56 +0200

> Another more tricky approach would be to attach text properties to
> crm-separator which carry the additional data. This would be backward-
> and forward-compatible also for third-party code, but maybe not very
> elegant. What do you think?

Although text properties are not customizable, this should not be
a problem for third-party packages.  And crm-separator is a variable,
not a defcustom.

>>> Another possibility might be to use the completion category and the
>>> separator string and convert that to an example, e.g., category face
>>> would yield the prompt "Describe face (face1,face2,...):".
>>
>> Maybe then it's possible to provide the separator and its description
>> in the metadata?
>
> This would be more intrusive. Also the question is if the crm-separator
> is truly bound to the completion table, or if it should be possible to
> reuse the same table with different separators.

Then it's possible to override the separator.  But anyway it seems
text properties are the least intrusive approach.