Subject: bug#76028: 31; completing-read-multiple: Add prompt indicator

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2025 14:09:36 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Daniel Mendler via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
> text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I propose to add such an indicator to CRM by default. Above I have
>> chosen the tag "CRM" for its shortness, but a more user friendly
>> solution might require a longer more descriptive name. Furthermore the
>> code above extracts the separator from the regular expression
>> `crm-separator', which is not robust for all separators.
>
> How about " [comma-separated list] "?
>
> I'd also propose we should have a defcustom for it, allowing users to
> set it to something shorter if they want.

Yes, this would look good. Note that `crm-separator' can be set to an
arbitrary regular expression. How can we turn `crm-separator' into a
string like "comma-separated list"? Maybe `crm-separator' should be
generalized? One could set it to a cons ("," . "comma-separated list")
with the regexp in the car and the description in the cdr. In cases
where `crm-separator' is a string, we could use a generic string like
"[multi list]".

Daniel