Subject: bug#76022: closed (Re: bug#76022: udisks is configured to use /media instead of /run)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 05:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76022: udisks is configured to use /media instead of /run

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76022: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76022
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76022: udisks is configured to use /media instead of /run
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>, Florian Pelz <[email-masked]>, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 14:33:46 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> * etc/news.scm: Add entry.
>
> Change-Id: Ic60cb95af327647de82e10d1f91304fc70ec2a21
> Co-authored-by: Florian Pelz <[email-masked]>

Pushed this series.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: udisks is configured to use /media instead of /run
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2025 12:16:57 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Since commit 35263cd8627b296c3badc21de355b4fe613d7cd4 ("gnu: udisks:
Mount things under /media."), udisks mounts removable devices under the
/media directory instead of using the /run directory, which would
otherwise be the default [0].

[0]  https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Udisks#Mount_to_/media

Ludo, was there a particular reason for this?  I suspect perhaps /run
didn't exist in Guix System at the time.  This is no longer the case,
and with /run proposed to become a tmpfs in bug#73494, that would have
the benefit that the mount points would not persist a reboot, which can
lead to problems in case of user errors such as creating an actual
directory there that would conflict with the automatically created (and
destroyed) mount points that udisks creates.

Case at point: recently on some relative machine their mount point no
longer appeared under their usual name when mounted; it had a '1'
suffix.  Worst, this drive was used for holding large backups; when the
backup tool btrbk saw the directory existing (while the drive was not
mounted), it proceeded to fill it with backups, which quickly filled the
drive.

This situation could have been healed by a reboot in the /run on tmpfs
use case.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim