Subject: Re: bug#76000: Installer adds "nss-certs" to generated operating-system packages list, but it is included in %base-packages

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2025 21:38:57 -0500

On Sat, Feb 01, 2025 at 08:11:03PM +0000, Laurence Rochfort wrote:
> Running "guix system reconfigure" produces this message:
> 
> "guix system: warning: multiple 'nss-certs' packages found;
> 'nss-certs' is now included by default in '%base-packages'; ensure it
> is not explicitly listed in the operating system 'packages' field"
> 
> 
> The config.scm generated by the graphical installer has the following
> packages section:
[...] 
>                           (specification->package "nss-certs"))

Thanks for the report! Yes, that's the problem.

> Removing the "(specification->package "nss-certs")" line fixes the
> problem, but perhaps the installer needs to be updated to no longer
> add nss-certs?

The code that creates the installer has been adjusted, but we haven't
issued a new release since nss-certs was added to %base-packages:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=65e8472a4b6fc6f66871ba0dad518b7d4c63595e

So, unfortunately, this warning message will be seen by everyone who
installs Guix System 1.4.0.

However, I don't believe it will break anything. Let us know if it does
seem to cause a problem beyond the annoying warning.

It's not that easy to "just update the installer", so we'll have to wait
for 1.5, 2.0, or whatever the next release is before this warning goes
away.

Thanks again for the report!