Subject: bug#75982: closed (Re: bug#75982: lisp-fontify-confusables failure with recent Ubuntu, Fedora)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2025 18:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#75982: lisp-fontify-confusables failure with recent Ubuntu, Fedora

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
75982: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=75982
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#75982: lisp-fontify-confusables failure with recent Ubuntu, Fedora
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2025 10:39:34 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 2025-02-01 00:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Paul, do you still see this problem ion master?

No. Thanks for checking and explaining. Closing the bug report.

Subject: lisp-fontify-confusables failure with recent Ubuntu, Fedora
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs bug reports and feature requests <[email-masked]>
Cc: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2025 14:24:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I get a test failure running "make check" with the latest Emacs master 
(commit bd39ec062d0078c97140b8ad4ddf7c47e6f6e4ee). I've been getting 
this for a while, on both Ubuntu 24.10 and Fedora 41 (both x86-64). Here 
are symptoms:

$ (cd test && make lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests)
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/tmp/test'
   GEN      lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests.log
Running 23 tests (2025-01-31 14:20:43-0800, selector ‘(not (or (tag 
:unstable) (tag :nativecomp)))’)
    passed   1/23  indent-sexp (0.000801 sec)
    passed   2/23  indent-sexp-cant-go (0.000081 sec)
    passed   3/23  indent-sexp-go (0.000103 sec)
    passed   4/23  indent-sexp-in-string (0.000070 sec)
    passed   5/23  indent-sexp-stop (0.000074 sec)
    passed   6/23  indent-sexp-stop-before-eol-comment (0.000069 sec)
    passed   7/23  indent-sexp-stop-before-eol-non-lisp (0.014561 sec)
    passed   8/23  indent-subsexp (0.000081 sec)
    passed   9/23  lisp-comment-indent-1 (0.000105 sec)
    passed  10/23  lisp-comment-indent-2 (0.000082 sec)
'(description "This is a very long string which is indented by a
considerable value, causing it to protrude from the configured
`fill-column' since lisp-fill-paragraph was refactored in version 28.")
    passed  11/23  lisp-fill-paragraph-as-displayed (0.000216 sec)
    passed  12/23  lisp-fill-paragraph-docstring-boundaries (0.000118 sec)
Test lisp-fontify-confusables backtrace:
   signal(ert-test-failed (((should (faceup-test-font-lock-buffer 'emac
   ert-fail(((should (faceup-test-font-lock-buffer 'emacs-lisp-mode fac
   (if (unwind-protect (setq value-122 (apply fn-120 args-121)) (setq f
   (let (form-description-124) (if (unwind-protect (setq value-122 (app
   (let ((value-122 'ert-form-evaluation-aborted-123)) (let (form-descr
   (let* ((fn-120 #'faceup-test-font-lock-buffer) (args-121 (condition-
   (let ((faceup (buffer-string))) (faceup-clean-buffer) (let* ((fn-120
   (progn (let ((tail '(8216 8217 8219 8220 8221 8223 12318 65282 65287
   (unwind-protect (progn (let ((tail '(8216 8217 8219 8220 8221 8223 1
   (save-current-buffer (set-buffer temp-buffer) (unwind-protect (progn
   (let ((temp-buffer (generate-new-buffer " *temp*" t))) (save-current
   #f(lambda () [t] (let ((temp-buffer (generate-new-buffer " *temp*" t
   #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x6d135f9ef4d75f7>)()
   handler-bind-1(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x6d135f9ef4d75f7
   ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
   ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name lisp-fontify-confusables :documentati
   ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
   ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :unstable) (tag :nativecomp))) #f(compil
   ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :unstable) (tag :nativecomp))))
   ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :unstable) (tag :nativeco
   eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :unstable) (tag :n
   command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "--eval" "(setq treesit-extra-l
   command-line()
   normal-top-level()
Test lisp-fontify-confusables condition:
     (ert-test-failed
      ((should (faceup-test-font-lock-buffer 'emacs-lisp-mode faceup))
       :form
       (faceup-test-font-lock-buffer emacs-lisp-mode
				    "«w:‘»foo \\‘foo\n«w:’»foo \\’foo\n«w:‛»foo \\‛foo\n«w:“»foo 
\\“foo\n«w:”»foo \\”foo\n«w:‟»foo \\‟foo\n«w:〞»foo \\〞foo\n«w:＂»foo 
\\＂foo\n«w:＇»foo \\＇foo\n")
       :value nil :explanation
       ((on-line 1 ("«w:‘»foo \\‘foo") ("«w:«:quote:‘»»foo \\‘foo"))
        (on-line 2 ("«w:’»foo \\’foo") ("«w:«:quote:’»»foo \\’foo"))
        (on-line 3 ("«w:‛»foo \\‛foo") ("«w:«:quote:‛»»foo \\‛foo"))
        (on-line 4 ("«w:“»foo \\“foo") ("«w:«:quote:“»»foo \\“foo"))
        (on-line 5 ("«w:”»foo \\”foo") ("«w:«:quote:”»»foo \\”foo"))
        (on-line 6 ("«w:‟»foo \\‟foo") ("«w:«:quote:‟»»foo \\‟foo"))
        (on-line 7 ("«w:〞»foo \\〞foo") ("«w:«:quote:〞»»foo \\〞foo"))
        (on-line 8 ("«w:＂»foo \\＂foo") ("«w:«:quote:＂»»foo \\＂foo"))
        (on-line 9 ("«w:＇»foo \\＇foo") ("«w:«:quote:＇»»foo \\＇foo")))))
    FAILED  13/23  lisp-fontify-confusables (0.000562 sec) at 
lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests.el:361
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  14/23  lisp-indent-defun (0.000928 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  15/23  lisp-indent-region (0.000568 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  16/23  lisp-indent-region-after-string-literal (0.000118 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  17/23  lisp-indent-region-defun-with-docstring (0.000108 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  18/23  lisp-indent-region-in-sexp (0.000119 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  19/23  lisp-indent-region-open-paren (0.000102 sec)
Indenting region...
Indenting region...done
    passed  20/23  lisp-indent-unfinished-string (0.000049 sec)
    passed  21/23  lisp-indent-with-read-only-field (0.000048 sec)
    passed  22/23  test-font-lock-keywords (0.002377 sec)
    passed  23/23  test-lisp-current-defun-name (0.010519 sec)

Ran 23 tests, 22 results as expected, 1 unexpected (2025-01-31 
14:20:43-0800, 0.082472 sec)

1 unexpected results:
    FAILED  lisp-fontify-confusables

make[1]: *** [Makefile:185: lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests.log] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/tmp/test'
make: *** [Makefile:251: lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mode-tests] Error 2