Subject: [bug#75981] [PATCH v2 0/2] Support authenticated forks.

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 12:41:46 +0000

45mg <[email-masked]> writes:

> There are two aspects of a solution to handle forks - fork
> /authentication/, which is what we've discussed so far; and fork
> /management/, which includes keeping a fork updated, rebasing patch
> branches onto the latest master, etc. I would like to keep this patch
> series restricted to the former, and avoid addressing the latter, for
> two main reasons.

It just occurred to me that I should still have documented some of the
issues that come up with fork management in Guix, even if I don't want
to include any fancy tooling for it in this patch series. For instance,
I should have mentioned how non-committers need to rebase upstream
commits onto their fork branch instead of merging them in, and
demonstrated how this can be done via the Git CLI. And in general, I
should have walked users through the complexities of updating to new
versions of patches, etc. without altering history (as altering history
requires you to pull with `--allow-downgrades`).

I guess that's something to address with v3, whenever I get around to
it...